IEC 2023 Seasonal Sample Transport Intern
IEC Job Description
IEC Seasonal Sample Transport Intern
TITLE: IEC 2023 Seasonal Sample Transport Intern
EMPLOYER: Interstate Environmental Commission (IEC)
LOCATION: Interstate Environmental Commission laboratory in Brooklyn, New York, with vehicle travel around the NYC Metropolitan area.
BACKGROUND: The Interstate Environmental Commission comprehensively addresses water quality issues and priorities in the IEC jurisdictional waters in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, and CT). IEC performs a diverse array of water quality projects that include ambient water quality monitoring surveys, compliance inspections including effluent sampling, laboratory analyses, public education and outreach. JOB SUMMARY: Intern will be responsible for transporting samples collected in association with IEC water quality monitoring projects throughout the metropolitan area to the IEC laboratory located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, New York and other locations, as necessary. Samples are collected by volunteer, partner organizations, or IEC staff, depending on the needs of the project. May participate in sampling activities in throughout the tri-state area. Prepare coolers, bottles, labels and equipment for sampling. Assist with laboratory inventory, according to program needs. Transport may be via Commission-owned vehicle or privately owned vehicle, as necessary.
- • Pick up samples throughout New York City metropolitan area, particularly Northern New Jersey and New York City.
- • Complete sampling paperwork (chain of custody) and document sample receipt according the laboratory protocols.
- • Assist with preparing (washing and sterilizing) sample bottles, preparing coolers and equipment for sampling
- • Tracking inventory and receipt of laboratory supplies and reagents.
- • Assist with additional fieldwork, laboratory work, data entry, and office work, as necessary.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent required. Associate degree in science or an equivalent 2 years of coursework toward a bachelor’s degree preferred. Must possess valid driver’s license for a minimum of three years with excellent driving record. Must consent to motor vehicle report being procured by IEC’s insurance provider prior to employment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Ideal applicants will be highly motivated, prompt, with experience driving in the NYC metropolitan area. Position requires interacting with and communicating with IEC staff, partners, volunteers and the public; developing and altering transport routes and schedules, as necessary, with the assistance of IEC Environmental Analysts (Project Managers).
- • Valid driver’s license with excellent driving record. Motor Vehicle Reports (MVR) will be pulled prior to employment;
- • Strong desire and ability to work in the field, under a variety of environmental conditions, as well as in a laboratory setting;
- • Ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivated, adaptable and a positive attitude.
- • Prompt, reliable, strong time-management skills; flexible
- • Experience driving in and around the tri-state area (NY, CT, and NJ)
- • Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- • Prior field and laboratory experience
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: This is a paid position; hourly pay is between $20.00-$22.00/hour, commensurate with experience. It is estimated that the position will be a full-time, seasonal position, requiring 37.5 hours (4-5 days per week), with some flexibility. This is an in-person position; this position does not include a remote work option. The approximate start date is May 1, 2023 with an estimated end date of October 31st, 2023, with some flexibility in start and/or end dates to accommodate academic schedules and personal schedules. This position does not include benefits, other than statutory benefits such as workers compensation, social security taxes and unemployment insurance.
Requirements A valid driver’s license is required. Access to own transportation is preferred. Mileage (at standard IRS reimbursement rates) and tolls for use of personal vehicle for sample transport will be reimbursed in accordance with IEC’s travel policies.
Apply: To apply, send a cover letter and resume by March 3rd, 2023 as indicated at the top of the page. Please reference position number 23-002 in the e-mail subject line.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Your application will be reviewed to determine if your qualifications possess the right match for the position.