The Interstate Environmental Commission’s mission is to protect and enhance environmental quality through cooperation, regulation, coordination, and mutual dialogue between government and citizens in the Tri-State Region.
The goals of the Interstate Environmental Commission are:
- To foster improved understanding of the condition of District waters through long-term and short-term ambient water quality monitoring surveys;
- To provide member states with compliance assistance through inspections, monitoring and analyses.
- To facilitate and coordinate dialogue and education on interstate water pollution issues with regional agencies, organizations and the public.
The Interstate Environmental Commission will implement these goals by:
- Coordinating interstate and region-wide water quality programs.
- Providing technical assistance and support to its member States on water quality issues.
- Enhancing public and legislative awareness, disseminating information on issues related to water quality, and promoting citizen science.